Bushmills was once known as Portcaman, the modern name developed with the water powered industries of the 1600's when the village became one of the main centre's for corn, flax, spade and whiskey production, at one time powering seven mills along its stretch through the village. It had one of the first mills built in Count Antrim.
The Diamond is typical of many traditional Ulster towns and villages where the corners are gathering places for the exchange of news and banter, a way of life that passes silently from one generation to another. The War Memorial, a tribute to the young men who left these same corners and rural fields never to return. Their story and bravery reflected by the few who returned, like Robert Quigg V.C. from the townland of Ardihannon at the Giant's Causeway.
The village owes a lot of its development and character to the Macnaghten family. They built many of the prominent buildings in the village including The Market Square, Clock Tower, the Courthouse and Old National School. The family home of 'Dunderave House' is set amongst woodlands overlooking the village, designed by Charles Lanyon it was built in 1847.
Page 1 of 4